EMMA grants the right to use photos of the artworks and the archive collections of the EMMA Collection, The Tapio Wirkkala Rut Bryk Foundation Collection and The Saastamoinen Foundation Art Collection, for different purposes. The photos are sent through EMMA’s image server. We charge a fee for the use of them in accordance with our price list.
Photos of current exhibitions are available for media use on the image server without the need to order them specifically (password: emmamuseum). Photos meant for other purposes than current information always have to be ordered separately.
Enquiries related to the photos and orders are sent by email to the address jenni.enbom[at]emmamuseum.fi. Please inform us as exactly as possible about the photo you order and the purpose of your use of it.
User conditions of photographs
1. The photographs may be used only for the agreed purpose. For unauthorised use of photographs, a penalty of EUR 1,000 will be charged. The notification period of the penalty is 8 days, the terms of payment 21 days, and the penalty interest rate is in accordance with the Interest Act. The museum has the right to charge reasonable collection costs.
2. The User is responsible for publishing the photographs with the appropriate captions. When publishing the photographs, the artist, the title of the work(s), the owner and the photographer must be mentioned. If these are left unmentioned, a penalty of EUR 200 per photo will be charged.
The owner information of works belonging to different art collections is to be presented as follows:
EMMA – Espoon modernin taiteen museon kokoelma
EMMA – Samlingen för Esbo moderna konstmuseum
EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art Collection
Saastamoisen säätiön taidekokoelma / EMMA – Espoon modernin taiteen museo
Saastamoinen stiftelsens konstsamling / EMMA – Esbo moderna konstmuseum
The Saastamoinen Foundation Art Collection / EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art
Tapio Wirkkala Rut Bryk Säätiön kokoelma / EMMA – Espoon modernin taiteen museo
Tapio Wirkkala Rut Bryk stiftelsens samling / EMMA – Esbo moderna konstmuseum
Tapio Wirkkala Rut Bryk Foundation Collection / EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art
3. The work of art may not be cropped in a way that is in contradiction to the Copyright Act. If only a detail of the photo is used, this must be mentioned when publishing it. It is forbidden to print any text on the photo without permission. The User is responsible for the colour separation.
4. The User must handle the copyright matters related to the use of the photo in cooperation with the artist or the organization representing the artist. Rights holders in the case of photos of artworks means both the artist and the photographer. The copyright of an artwork is valid 70 years after the death of the artist, and in the case of a photograph, the time span is 50 years from the year it was taken. The compensation for using a photograph which is paid to EMMA covers the copyright fee paid to the photographer. In addition to this, the Orderer of the photos is responsible for the artist’s possible copyright compensations which are to be paid to the rights holders, if the artist’s copyright is still valid. The rights holders can be either the artists, their estates, or the copyright organization Kuvasto ry granting the user rights on behalf of them. On Kuvasto’s web pages, there is a list of the artists and estates the organization has made deals with. In the image service, you find the contact information of some of the rights holders that don’t have agreements with Kuvasto.
5. EMMA wishes to receive copies of the publications for its archives.
6. The electronic file must be destroyed after the agreed use.
7. By using a borrowed photograph, the User agrees to follow the above-mentioned conditions for image use.